Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 1 - Telluride to Cortez

June 9th 2013 - Day 1 - RTR - Telluride to Cortez

Day 1 - I awoke at 5 am and was surprised at the number of people getting ready to go.  The temperature was a brisk 38 degrees, but it was toasty in my bag.  I was the first of the group out of the gate at about 0620 am with  a 15 mile climb out of Telluride to Lizard Head pass at 10,222 feet.  It was absolutlely gorgeous, sun was up on the peaks, but the valley still shadowed.  Sunshine and Wilson peaks were my early morning adversaries, towering in the distance as we climbed.
Another great view:

The first rest stop was  hoot - at the top of lizard head pass.  The DJ was egging cyclists to play games, such rolling oranges.
But the treat was skipping breakfast to experience Flipping Flapjacks.  All you can carb load for $5.
This guy is a master, flipping 4 pancakes at a time onto your plate.  

The ascent was listed at 2200, but my friend Bill logged 2600 on his bike computer.  

I only had a bit of drama.  On the 60 mile downhill, I rode in several pace lines and we were hauling.  Putting your wheel a few inches behind a strangers can be nerve wracking.  At one point I was alone, still moving about 25 MPH and had my head down following the white line.  I am not sure what made me look up, but a silver Porsche was passing a 5th wheeler and headed right at me.  Took a while for my heart to slow down after that near miss.  A rider caught me a few minutes later who witnessed and we pace lined together into Delores.  These guys guided us to the Cortez recreation center where we are staying tonight.  

Showers - Have you ever showered in a semi truck?  More on that next time.  I showered, had a massage and now at the afternoon cycling seminar.

The final word.  Today was one of the most beautiful rides I have been fortunate  enough to have ridden.  Please take the time in your life to experience Telluride and the ride south.  It's a gorgeous 75 miles.

Be safe and share the road!

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment