Sunday, June 16, 2013

Day 7 - Canon City to Colorado Springs - 47 miles

June 15th 2013, RTR Day 7, Canon City to Colorado Springs

Wow!  It's hard to believe we have reached the last day.  It seems so fast now, but I remember the times when the light at the end of the tunnel was nowhere to be found.

Today's ride, 47 miles, was a walk in the park compared to the last 4 days.  Jody headed out early and the rest of us packed and moseyed over to the Waffle Wagon - what a great fuel up!  We backtracked to Florence and on to Penrose, mostly downhill.  No flap jacks for me today.  A rider was down just before rest stop #1 and the RTR paramedics were on the scene.  I am not sure what happened, but sad to see so close to the finish.

The climbing continued through the rolling hills and heat to rest stop #2, Ft Carson, about an hours ride to the finish!  The DJ was in full swing and lots smiles, laughing and games at this rest stop.  I ran into Kelly, whom I met in Telluride on Day 0 in the RTR check in line.  I started early and I passed Kelly each morning, but usually 5-10 miles into the ride along with 3-4 other  riders.  I can't imagine what time they started each day.  Kelly and her friends rode RTR using hand cycles. What a challenge these riders undertook and conquered!

I saw another rider down with medical help a few miles from the finish.  I also do not know the outcome of that accident, but glad they had the support needed.  Flat tires were the bane of the day as I passed at least 10 riders with flats along the way.  I rode more cautiously and I know many drivers wonder why cyclist sometimes don't hold as far right as possible - it's due to gravel and debris which can cause falls or blow outs or both.

I pedaled through the finish line with arms raised in victory.  I had left my car at the house of Tina and Paul, about 9 miles away.  I was going to get a ride there, but just kept pedaling up the hill and to their house for a fabulous indoor shower and drove back the to after party, which had a fantastic finish as all of the sag vehicles, police, ambulances and volunteers drove in after the last rider!
State Patrol, paramedics, 85 volunteers and RTR staff receiving a standing ovation for their RTR support
This adventure was also in social media and I found it challenging to keep my phone powered as well as the time to write up the day's adventure.  I used Google Blogger, Twitter, Facebook, email and text to keep everyone up to date, but the long rides finished later than the first few days and I found myself jotting down notes in my phone to write up the day's journey later.

The Colorado Springs community has been hit two years in a row by wildfires.  Please reach out, be it time or money, to help someone in need.

I rode my first century (100 miles) on May 19th and these last 4 days (Tuesday-Friday) were almost centuries.  My 5 longest rides have also been in the last 30 days, 4 on RTR.  This RTR, due to the re-route, was a record breaker.  This was the longest RTR ever at 547 miles and over 22,000 ft of ascent.  It was fun, challenging, difficult, painful, hot, cold, sleepless and absolutely gorgeous!  Yep, i loved it!  It was a great experience and a great way to see Colorado!  Day 7 What is RTR?

Chandler, the RTR director, ended the celebration with the quote of the week and so shall I.  A young rider, probably around 12, commenting to his father after using the porta-pottie "Dad, someone pee'd in the helmet holder."

Taking a couple days off riding,

-Steve

PS.  Today had a great outcome no matter how RTR went.  I picked up an 8 week old GSP puppy, my new BFF!







No comments:

Post a Comment