Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 4 - Pagosa Springs to Alamosa 91 miles

Day 4 opened with a gorgeous sunrise over the mountains as we headed east on hwy 550, with granite peaks and a verdant valley.  A lot of early morning pictures help procrastinate the challenging climb on tap for today.

It is amazing to me how you can push yourself beyond where you believe you can go.  Yesterday (Durango to Pagosa Springs) was amazing – I felt the day was going to be challenging and my body responded.  Today’s ride was the opposite.  We started just before 6 AM to a 15 mile uphill to the first rest stop.  After flapjacks, Wolf Creek pass stood tall before us.  I told Warren at the rest stop before I left that I was simply going to think of Deer Creek Canyon in the south Denver metro which is a 9 mile uphill.  

As Warren passed me 3 miles into the climb, he quipped “This Wolf has more teeth than the Deer.”

The switchback picture is roughly 2 miles into the climb, yes, we rode up that.  While I am sharing the fun, make no mistake, the ride is difficult each and everyday.  Even a good day has challenges.  RTR is series of problems to be solved.  For example, getting a good night's sleep is a challenge.  Tuesday night ran into a buzzsaw in the neighboring tent.  Gel ear plugs couldn't drown out the buzzsaw.  I actually started laughing at one point that someone could snore sooooo loudly and rythymic.  Luckily, the sherpas are accomodating and a few key words and that tent is now away for the rest of us.  But I was tired for the challenge of day 4.

The opening 24 mile grind up the 10,850 ft Wolf Creek pass was next challenge, with road grades around 8%.  However, the day quickly became a battle of wits between my body and I.  My quads were screaming during the first 17 miiles, refusing all requests for more power (Scotty we need more power!).  My tail end added to the cry approaching the start of the Wolf Creek climb.  As I ascended Wolf Creek, a twinge started behind my right knee….a few minutes later my left knee complained of the same twinge.  My left ankle wasn’t to be denied and began howling.  "Just keep pedaling, just keep pedaling" became the day's mantra.  Slowly, all that my world contained was gorgeous view and a complaining body that just wanted to stop.  The grade varied from 4-8 percent – the Wolf truly had more teeth than the Deer.  But at 11 AM, we breached the summit!  I spent a good 45 minutes at the Wolf Creek pass summit, eating a burger and just sitting letting the body’s cacophony die down.  The map showed downhill all the way to Alamosa, but little did I know what lay in store. 

The downhill was epic, reaching speeds in excess of 50 mph.  And still gorgeous!  But after the stop in South Fork…my biggest fear for this day appeared…headwind.  It was actually a side, head and angled wind as it moved around.  The only way to survive was to join a paceline.  I thought I was solo and looked back and found I collect 6 or so riders, so we took turns pulling into the wind and made it to the Monte Vista rest stop.  It was a tough pull.  But the reward was loaded potatoes.
 
Like the flapjack stop, which travels with us and can always be found at rest stop #1, there are single stop and other traveling vendors.  The loaded potato stop is a one timer and free!

The stats for the day:  91.5 miles, 10 hours total time, 7500 calories (based upon total time, not ride time).  This was an extremely tough day.

We did cruise through Alamosa, similar to Pagosa Springs.  Along the way, a train whistling it's warning, blocked our progress toward a hot shower, naps and food.  We were lucky it was overcast for most of the day, but upon arrival at the tent city, the sun came out and heated tents and people right up.

The great news is that the dinner burritos, beans and chicken were really good and the band, Home Slice, was excellent.  Since we camped at the recreation center, the beer garden was on site, along with a summer carnival.

I am pretty much cut off from television and media in general.  I have even been having trouble keeping up with the blog on a day by day basis.  What takes up my time?  Getting my gear ready for the next day, showering, eating, a few moments of hanging with my team and peeps met along the way and bed time is 9 pm most nights.  I have heard rumors of fires in the Royal Gorge and Black Forest.  RTR told us tonight that we would have an update at the Thursday daily seminar as to whether we can continue our route as planned or deviate.

Of course, thanks for the texts and phone calls - both support and inquiring about the fires.

Stay tuned and stay cool!

-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment