Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Why Ride The Rockies?

Why Ride The Rockies (RTR)?  Why not jump out of an airplane?  Or hit myself on the head with a hammer?  My parents simply responded with "you're nuts".  A friend I hang with, even in my endorphin high moments, doesn't really get the biking thing.  Some don't get the adventure thing either.  Others are totally on board and I love the support - thanks!

So why take on the challenge?  Why use a week of precious vacation time for a potentially grueling physical event?  7 days on a bike, 513 miles, 20,400 vertical feet of climbing?    Why not go diving (which I love) with my friend Tammy, who is in the Carribean at the same time!  "I want to relax on my vacations, not exhaust myself" another friend wrote.

The sense of accomplishment is part of it, but the physical challenge isn't the primary motivation.  I thrive on new experiences and a bike journey through one of the most beautiful places was a temptation I couldn't resist.  "Yeah, but you can drive it"....which goes to the biking thing.  It's a dream, but so many details also jump out on the bike journey, a lot of thinking, and the speed, the rush, of downhill on the passes - that's the real addiction ;).



RTR also is an experience in an of itself, daily festivals, demo opportunities and the potato stop.  Each of the towns has their own unique appeal and I haven't ever stopped to explore them in depth.  

What about the 8 year decline in fitness and 57 lb increase in weight?....well...this is the year I do something about that!  Down 16 lbs so far...

When my friend Warren facebooked me in February, it was a no brainer - I was all in.  Four days until the adventure begins!

Part of this adventure is using social media...my second ever blog post!  As of today, you can follow me on twitter @steveclagg.  

Peace Out!

-Steve

www.ridetherockies.com




2 comments:

  1. Wolf Creek Pass certainly looks like the crux. Make sure to try out a couple of $8,000 bikes, or at least some $1,000 wheels. Stay near the front in the pace lines because there can be some pretty sketchy riders hanging on for dear life at the back. You are sure to meet some memorable characters. Are you camping, gyming. or getting a motel? We camped; that gym just didn't look like a good night's rest. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave,
    I am receiving a lot of demo reservation requests from the bike and wheel manufacturers. So I will try both - thanks for the advice.

    The team I am riding with chose the motels last year, but some of the smaller towns do not have the capacity for everyone, so they were shipped 20 miles away and missed out on some of the afternoon festivities. This year, we are Sherpa camping, so the sherpas set up, break down and haul our gear. I have heard a few stories about the gyms and glad we are camping.

    ReplyDelete