Tuesday, March 21, 2017

RTR in retrospect

Well, tonight I started my post about RTR 2017.  But...as I signed on, I saw the the RTR 2013 and RTR 2015 post and had a little fun down memory lane.  Getting nostalgic with a glass of bullet and my dogs snoring next to me.  I laughed about the very brief posting from the 2015 RTR.

My first RTR experience was back in 1993.  I had planned to ride with my then girlfriend and...well...that really didn't turn out so well.  I was also on my last legs of a very brief insurance sales career.  I guess June of 1993 was a time of change.  The final leg of the '93 RTR was from Frisco to Golden.  I fired up Evinrude, my trusty '92 Ford Ranger (which many of you know lasted 20 years), and spent the night camping at the Frisco high school.

Lake Dillon had steam rising that early Saturday morning and 2000+ riders launched towards Loveland pass.  I was focused on the pass and little did I know the steady grade between Keystone and A-Basin would be the most challenging part and sap me for the day.  Over the top, with no fear at 28, I hit the Loveland ski area on-ramp and the steep grade down I-70 at around 55 MPH on my trusty Diamond back mountain bike.  Yup, RTR was different back then, with roadies and mountain bikers.  I passed a 1970s Pinto with a blaring muffler pipe as I rode the break-down lane towards Bakerville.  Idaho Springs was a planned RTR rest stop and I celebrated that I was almost to Golden...and then we attacked Floyd Hill...and...Floyd won.  Keystone to A-Basin was tough, but I was used up by the time we hit Floyd.  My triple crank and granny gear was perfect, but I was spent.  As I arrived in Golden, my stepdad picked me up.  In case you are worried about Evinrude, we drove back to Frisco...

What happened in '15?  It wasn't pretty.  The lack of training really had a toll on my physically through the week.  But...as I was reading the single posted blog, I saw that the rest of the week was never posted - I had left each post in draft - publishing now

-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment